Redesigning a space? Let your flooring inspire the look, not the other way around! Think about introducing patterned flooring into your room design. Distinctive natural stone and wood characteristics, or creatively arranged tiles and planks could really make your room stand out.
Alterna Engineered Tile Colletion - Hint of Gray | D7176
Patterned flooring is a unique and stylish way to catch the eye and add interest to a room. And you can achieve a unique look with a variety of flooring types and styles.
Patterned Flooring with Stone and Slate Looks
The stylish elegance of stone and slate is easy to bring home in most of our flooring categories: engineered tile, luxury vinyl tile, laminate, vinyl sheet or vinyl tile. Incredible realism and dramatic natural color patterns emerge from the random clefts, mineral veining, and scale variations that look just like what you find in nature — but without the cold, hard qualities of natural stone.
Rely on the natural color patterns in these stone-look tiles, or enhance the visual interest of your room by customizing your own pattern or choosing a style that designed with an interesting design.
- Place same-sized square or rectangular luxury vinyl tiles in a staggered design to add geometric interest to your space.
- Create vinyl patterned flooring by installing vinyl tiles on the diagonal instead of square with the walls, or alternate two different stone-look tiles in a checkered pattern.
- Combine two or more different sized Alterna® engineered tiles and arrange them randomly, in a herringbone, basketweave or windmill pattern. We offer a wide variety of sizes and color shades in a single design, to make creating patterns really easy.
- Choose vinyl sheet for an array of stone patterns that don't require any extra work to plan out — they're already designed in a single sheet with the pattern in place! We offer products with alternating colors, cobblestone style prints and staggered or basketweave patterns.
- Patterned laminate flooring is available in looks that resemble slate or tumbled stone pavers with randomly arranged tiles of different sizes and shapes. Or you can place square stone-look planks in a staggered pattern.
To see more pattern options, download Alterna Pattern Possibilities.
Patterned Flooring with Natural Hardwood and Wood-Look Flooring
Hardwood floors are timeless and enduring. The beautiful natural patterns found in the grain of many wood species can really up the wow factor of a room. Native hardwoods like Hickory and Walnut have light and dark patterns. Curly figuring is common to Cherry and Maple. And the striated grain of exotic Tigerwood is striking and sophisticated.
You can also get the look of traditional or exotic hardwood in laminate, luxury vinyl and vinyl sheet flooring. Choose one of countless flooring styles that resemble wood with exciting natural grain patterns, textures and color effects.
Here are some other ways to create stunning and unique patterns with natural hardwood or wood-look vinyl or laminate planks:
Choose a reclaimed wood style that features several wood species in the same design, then alternate them randomly or according to the recommended pattern.
Woodland Relics Collection, Industrial Tones | EAXWRM5L405X
Mixed Width Planks
Create patterns with the same wood species by alternating different width boards. We offer mixed-width styles that feature a strip, plank and wide-width plank.
TimberCuts Collection, Gray Timber | EAMTCM5L401
Choose two or more different colors from the same collection to create your own custom pattern.
Rustic Restorations Collection, Essential Brown | SAKRR39L4EBD
Add interest under your feet with a checkerboard floor. Try the iconic black-and-white pattern in vinyl sheet or vinyl tile to create an elegant backdrop or a retro centerpiece. Or spin the style with a mix of two different shades of the same color, which you can accomplish with any tiled flooring — luxury vinyl, engineered tile, laminate and vinyl tile.
The checkerboard look is even possible with hardwood. Millwork Square is a parquet-style wood flooring that allows you to create the classic pattern with the same color or two alternating shades.
Millwork Square Collection, Mystic Taupe | PAKMW2H32FB
Whether you choose vinyl, engineered tile, laminate or hardwood — and whether you find your pattern inspiration in the natural wood or stone characteristics or in a design of your own making — you'll find that flooring can flooring can be an easy way to make a one-of-a-kind design statement.