Armstrong Flooring wants you to enjoy your hardwood floor for many years. To help you maintain that new look, we asked cleaning expert Melissa Maker, star of the YouTube channel Clean My Space, to give you a few simple cleaning tips for hardwood floors. Follow these tips from Melissa, and you'll keep your hardwood floor in tiptop shape!
Routine Hardwood Floor Cleaning
- Sweep, dust mop or vacuum regularly. When using a vacuum cleaner, disengage the beater bar or use the “bare floor” setting to avoid damaging your floor. The vacuum head must be brush or felt, and a wand attachment is preferable.
- Clean your hardwood floor occasionally using a mop with a microfiber or terry cloth cover and Armstrong Flooring Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner or Bruce Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner. Never mop with water.
- To revive an older floor, apply one or more coats of Bruce Fresh Finish.
Tips for Protecting Your Floors
- Wipe up spills immediately.
- Place a natural or colorfast mat at outside entrances to reduce the amount of dirt and moisture brought into your home.
- Use area rugs in front of kitchen sinks and within high traffic areas. Rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment — and rugs with solid rubber or vinyl backings are not recommended.
- Keep your pet's nails trimmed to minimize finish scratches.
- Use floor protectors on furniture to reduce indentation. The heavier the item, the wider the floor protector needed.
- Protect your floor from direct sunlight.
- DON’T walk on wood floors with spike or stiletto-heeled shoes. Remove shoes at the door to avoid potentially dragging in sharp objects that may be stuck in your shoe treads.
- DON’T use any of the following products (or products similar in nature) on your floor: ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, solvent-based polishes, detergents, bleach, polishes, oil soap, abrasive cleaning soaps, or acidic substances such as vinegar. Only use a designated hardwood floor cleaner.
Still have questions about caring for your floor?
Chat with our Customer Service Team, or give them a call at 1-800-233-3823.