Wood on the walls was a popular mid-century decorating trend, and, like many looks of that time, it's recently re-emerged, new and improved. Discover how you can transform a room from top to bottom with the enduring beauty and durability of Armstrong products — on your walls.
Woodland Relics Collection, Industrial Tones | EAXWRM5L405X
Today's style-minded homeowners are approaching flooring from whole new angle — using it to create accent walls, wainscoting and artistic focal points that reflect their unique style and bring distinctive character to a space.
Whatever one-of-a-kind look you imagine for your home, Armstrong Flooring can help you achieve it. We've made some of our most on-trend and durable flooring options adaptable for wall installations. They're easy to install, easy to care for and easy to love.
Let's take a closer look at our three products that you can use on the walls: engineered hardwood, engineered tile and premium wood-look laminate.
American Scrape Collection, Walnut Garden | EAS601
Hardwood is the most coveted type of flooring, so it's no wonder that it's also popular for interior wall design. Our engineered hardwood offers not only natural beauty and timeless style, but it is designed with a sturdy construction and rugged durability to last for many years to come.
Enjoy these benefits:
- Reliable stability. Engineered hardwood is built in a way that minimizes unsightly gaps. Most competitors' planks are less stable, so gaps can show if they shift after installation.
- Protective surface. Durable urethane coating protects the wood. Most competitors' wall planks have no protective coating, so they are susceptible to stains and wear.
- Install anywhere. Hardwood can be a great fit for walls on any level of the home, and in any room, even basements.
- DIY-friendly. Tongue-and-groove installation is quick and easy. (See video below.)
- Easy to clean. Simply wipe to remove dust and debris.
Recommended Collections for Installing Hardwood Flooring on Walls
On the wall, the carefully crafted textures and tones of wood are dynamic and eye-catching, and bring natural warmth and authenticity to your space. Most of our engineered wood products can be used on walls, but there are a few we highly recommend for their depth-defying colors and textures and premium quality.
Coordinating Trim and Molding
We offer a full range of durable trim and molding for that special finishing touch. The design possibilities are limitless: framed works of wooden art, wainscoting, recessed panels.
These pieces are readily available, always in stock, and come in vibrant colors that are customized to be an exact match to our hardwood products, in both color and style. If you prefer a coordinating or contrasting color, there are many options to choose from.
You can install hardwood on walls anywhere in your home, on any level — basements, living rooms or bedrooms alike*. Our engineered construction provides stability that many competitors can’t match, so you have peace of mind that your masterpiece will remain flawlessly intact.
*Armstrong Flooring Engineered Hardwood tested in accordance with ASTM E 84 and approved for Residential and Class C Commercial uses. Class C = 76 - 200 Flame Spread. Excludes TimberBrushed™, Artesian Hand Tooled™ and Rustic Accents™ Hardwood.
Prefer the look of natural stone, ceramic or slate? Try featuring our Alterna engineered tile products on your wall. It can be used with or without grout as a decorative backsplash, accent wall or other focal point. With a wide range of designs and multiple options for layout and patterns, you'll find endless ways to express your vision.
- Traditional and modern styles. From the classic elegance of travertine or marble to the modern sleekness of concrete or linen, there's a look for every decorating style.
- Durable engineered construction. Alterna looks and feels like natural stone because it's constructed from 75% limestone. It's water, scratch and stain repellent — and unlike ceramic and natural stone, isn't susceptible to cracking.
- Install anywhere. Kitchens, bathrooms, basements. The only places we don't recommend are shower walls, fireplace surrounds or any wall application that exposes it to continuous saturation or temperatures above 300°F.
- Easy installation. Alterna is faster, easier and cleaner to install than traditional tile. Adhesive and optional grout come pre-mixed and installation can be done in a day with no long drying times between steps. Use an appropriate high-quality wall adhesive and follow instructions for how to install engineered tile flooring on walls.
- Matching trim. Complete the look with trim pieces, digitally matched to go with any flooring you choose.
Architectural Remnants Collection, Sea Glass Teal | L6631
Laminate on your walls can be a great decorating option for practical budgets or if you're going for a specific wood look featured in our premium laminate collections. Create a unique visual statement with a full wood wall, recessed panel, wainscoting or other accent.
Choose from three beautiful and trend-setting collections, each ready for easy wall installation:
- Groundbreaking style. These products showcase gorgeous, crystal clear visuals that mimic unexpected materials like rustic barn wood, weathered concrete and reclaimed metal.
- Durable construction. Laminate flooring on walls is just as stress-free to maintain as laminate on the floor. Each features our VisionGuard wear layer, a hardened surface that helps protect against scratches, scrapes and fading — and makes walls easy to clean.
- Install anywhere. Add a unique accent to any room, on any level of your home — high-moisture areas included!
- Easy installation. Our simple Lock&Fold® method is easy to install and can be placed over existing drywall or paneling with no mess or hassle.
- Matching trim. Give your wall treatment a professional and polished look with transitional molding and trim. We offer matching baseboards, chair rail, quarter round and inner/outer trim. Complete the look with coordinating molding for an additional decorative element.