Find out how to care for your hardwood floor.
Routine Hardwood Floor Cleaning
- Sweep, dust mop or vacuum regularly. When using a vacuum cleaner, disengage the beater bar or use the “bare floor” setting to avoid damaging your floor. The vacuum head must be brush or felt, and a wand attachment is preferable.
- Clean your hardwood floor occasionally using a mop with a microfiber or terry cloth cover and Armstrong Flooring Hardwood & Laminate Floor Cleaner. Never mop with water.
Tips for Protecting Your Floors
- Wipe up spills immediately.
- Place a natural or colorfast mat at outside entrances to reduce the amount of dirt and moisture brought into your home.
- Use area rugs in front of kitchen sinks and within high traffic areas. Rugs must be made of a breathable material to prevent moisture entrapment — and rugs with solid rubber or vinyl backings are not recommended.
- Keep your pet's nails trimmed to minimize finish scratches.
- Use floor protectors on furniture to reduce indentation. The heavier the item, the wider the floor protector needed.
- Protect your floor from direct sunlight.
- DON’T walk on wood floors with spike or stiletto-heeled shoes. Remove shoes at the door to avoid potentially dragging in sharp objects that may be stuck in your shoe treads.
- DON’T use any of the following products (or products similar in nature) on your floor: ammonia-based cleaners, acrylic finishes, wax-based products, solvent-based polishes, detergents, bleach, polishes, oil soap, abrasive cleaning soaps, or acidic substances such as vinegar. Only use a designated hardwood floor cleaner.
Tips for Hardwood Scratch Repair
- For those "uh-oh" moments when nicks and scratches happen, a wood touch-up kit allows you to quickly and easily make a repair to keep your floors looking like new.
- There are different hardwood touch-up kits to complement any hardwood floor colour, making it easy to find the hardwood scratch repair kit that matches your floor. You can find these touch-up kits at your local Flooring retailer or hardware store. Each kit may include filler sticks and/or touch-up markers, a sanding pad and urethane for re-coating the repair. Ensure that you follow the instructions in order to avoid damaging your floor.